Publisher/Year: Vertigo, 1996
Artist: Steve Dillon
Writer: Garth Ennis
Collects: Preacher #1-7
When I had to sell some of my graphic novel and trade paperback collection, the Preacher series was one of the hardest to sell. I was able to re-create my collection of Sandman, but I'm still working on this series. I decided to pick this trade up to read for review, and I realized how much I love the work of Garth Ennis.
Before I became a huge Bendis fan, I followed Ennis with a passion that could easily be called fanaticism. I read everything I could find with his name associated with it. In my eyes, he could do no wrong. He gives me a much needed diversion from superheroes, mutants and mecha. His writing reminds me of why DC created Vertigo, and why I love it so much.
- 1 part southern preacher
- 1 part female with personal issues and ties with said preacher
- 1 part Irish vampire with attitude
- Mix with an Angel/Demon hybrid child named Genesis
- Include various ranks of Angels who need to stop Genesis from discovering a secret
- Add 1 Saint of Killers sent to bring Genesis back to Heaven, and who kills whoever gets in his way
- Stir in a bunch of normal people (including the local authorities and FBI) to get in the way
- Bake for about 75 issues (9 trades)
- Read often
Post a Comment